Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE THIS WITH EVERYONE

+4
Alecizzo23
slyone66
NicolasWSOP
thehogster65
8 posters

Go down

THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE THIS WITH EVERYONE Empty THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE THIS WITH EVERYONE

Post by thehogster65 Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:23 pm

MAY GOD BLESS ALL OUR MILITARY

As I came out of the supermarket that sunny day, pushing my cart of groceries towards my car, I saw an old man with the hood of his car up and a lady sitting inside the car, with the door open.

The old man was looking at the engine. I put my groceries away in my car and continued to watch the old gentleman from about twenty five feet away.

I saw a young man in his early twenties with a grocery bag in his arm, walking towards the old man. The old gentleman saw him coming too and took a few steps towards him. I Saw the old gentleman point to his open hood and say something.

The young man put his grocery bag into what looked like a brand new Cadillac Escalade and then turn back to the Old man and I heard him yell at the old gentleman saying,

'You shouldn't even be allowed to drive a car at your age.' And then with a wave of his hand, he got in his car and peeled rubber out of the parking lot.

I saw the old gentleman pull out his handkerchief and mop his brow as he went back to his car and again looked at the engine.

He then went to his wife and spoke with her and appeared to tell her it would be okay. I had seen enough and I approached the old man. He saw me coming and stood straight and as I got near him I said, 'Looks like you're having a problem.'

He smiled sheepishly and quietly nodded his head. I looked under the hood myself and knew that whatever the problem was, it was beyond me. Looking around I saw a gas station up
the road and told the old man that I would be right back. I drove to the station and went inside and saw three attendants working on cars. I approached one of them and related the problem the old man had with his car and offered to pay them if they could follow me back down and help him.

The old man had pushed the heavy car under the shade of a tree and appeared to be comforting his wife. When he saw us he straightened up and thanked me for my help. As the
mechanics diagnosed the problem (overheated engine) I spoke with the old gentleman.

When I shook hands with him earlier, he had noticed my Marine Corps ring and had commented about it, telling me that he had been a Marine too. I nodded and asked the
usual question, 'What outfit did you serve with?'

He had mentioned that he served with the first Marine Division at Tarawa, Saipan, Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal.

He had hit all the big ones and retired from the Corps after the war was over. As we talked we heard the car engine come on and saw the mechanics lower the hood. They came over to us as the old man reached for his wallet, but was stopped by me and I told him I would just put the bill on my AAA card.

He still reached for the wallet and handed me a card that I assumed had his name and address on it and I stuck it in my pocket.. We all shook hands all around again and I
said my goodbye's to his wife.

I then told the two mechanics that I would follow them back up to the station. Once at the station I told them that they had interrupted their own jobs to come along with me and help the old man. I said I wanted to pay for the help, but they refused to charge me.

One of them pulled out a card from his pocket looking exactly like the card the old man had given to me. Both of the men told me then, that they were Marine Corps Reserves.

Once again we shook hands all around and as I was leaving, one of them told me I should look at the card the old man had given to me. I said I would and drove off.

For some reason I had gone about two blocks when I pulled over and took the card out of my pocket and looked at it for a long, long time. The name of the old gentleman was on the
card in golden leaf and under his name.......'Congressional Medal of Honor Society.'

I sat there motionless looking at the card and reading it over and over. I looked up from the card and smiled to no one but myself and marveled that on this day, four Marines had all come together, because one of us needed help. He was an old man all right, but it felt good to have stood next to greatness and courage and an honor to have been in his presence.

Remember, OLD men like him gave you FREEDOM for America . Thanks to those who served....& those who supported them.

America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall. If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!

Remember, Freedom isn't Free, thousands have paid the price so you can enjoy what you have today.

GOD OUR FATHER, WALK THROUGH MY HOUSE AND TAKE AWAY ALL MY WORRIES AND ILLNESSES; AND PLEASE WATCH OVER AND HEAL MY FAMILY & THE FAMILIES OF OUR SERVICE MEN AND WOMEN WHO HAVE PROVIDED US, WITH GREAT SACRIFICIES, THE RIGHT TO BE FREE IN GOD's NAME.

AMEN

This prayer is powerful..

Pass this prayer on to others
thehogster65
thehogster65
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Back to top Go down

THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE THIS WITH EVERYONE Empty Re: THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE THIS WITH EVERYONE

Post by NicolasWSOP Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:30 pm

Thank you for posting this, hogster. It was entertaining to read, and reminded me of how hard American troops work so that others can live comfortable lives in peace and harmony.
NicolasWSOP
NicolasWSOP
Member Rank: Quads
Member Rank: Quads

Number of posts : 819
Registration date : 2009-05-09

Back to top Go down

THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE THIS WITH EVERYONE Empty Re: THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE THIS WITH EVERYONE

Post by slyone66 Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:53 am

hogster was really great reading that coming from a family of marines myself. i got in trouble early in life and wasn't able to enlist, but i take pride for those that have, and are still serving today. they are the backbone that keeps us a free nation. i hope that all the soilders over sea will make it back home soon, where they belong. not fighting a war that seems to have no end.
slyone66
slyone66

Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Alecizzo23 Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:44 am

for real. The military is a great service and true heros are soldiers protecting our freedom overseas.
Alecizzo23
Alecizzo23
Member Rank: Trips
Member Rank: Trips

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2009-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Surf Rat Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:53 pm

What a Face thnx hogster and cudos for helping a person in need,thats what the world really needs is more simple compassion for others. Cool and goes to show you never know what interesting people you will meet just by takeing the time to talk to someone..............................FRAK !!! Twisted Evil I despise rude uncareing people like the one Evil or Very Mad that turned his back on the old gentleman and his wife.he deserves a swat on the back of his head and a kick in the ass!!! I never served in the military(due more to the times and attitude Suspect towards the govt. of the mid 70's) but many of my ancestors,grandfather,father,uncles,cousins,friends did before and since and I have the utmost respect and grateful admiration for ALL those that have. Very Happy ....SALUTE and THANKS to all ex and active military personel here and where ever they are.
Surf Rat
Surf Rat
Member Rank: Flush
Member Rank: Flush

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2009-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by RazorBacker1 Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:01 pm

Wow, I think I have just read the best blog of the Year. Great Job Hogster!.. Amazing to think that you were standing next to a Metal of Honor winner, Im sure some people dont understand, but All Marines feel connected because of the way we are trained, Marine Corps Pride is Huge!
Im sure that Marine probley lied about his age when he joined, as most did during that time of great patriots. I cant even emagine the the thoughts that went through the young Marine reservist mind when they looked at the card.
Thanks for doing what Marines are suppose to do, Just another fine example of why Marine Pride runns so deep, Dont get me wrong, All our armed services are fantastic, then and now. Semper Fi, Tim.
RazorBacker1
RazorBacker1
Member Rank: Two Pair

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by thehogster65 Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Wait a minute Surf Rat and Razorbacker. Thehogster65 is not the I in this story only wish I was. Tjis was sent to me by a friend of mine who is in the Marines, but it did not happen to him. It happened to one of his fellow Marines and he was sharing the story with me. I asked if I could also share the story and he said yes. In fact he said it was being emailed every where. I just wanted to set the record straight. I did my stint in the service thou it was the Army for 3 years and I was lucky enough for it to be at a time of peace.
thehogster65
thehogster65

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by RazorBacker1 Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:04 am

Ok , Hog, thanks for sharin the stuff that really all service members do, and that is look out for americans, no matter where they are, here there or yunder... its still a fantastick story and experience for those involved. I would love to know the name on the card. would like to write a letter to him .. if there is any way u can get that to me it would be great.

Thanks , even if u were in the army, lol .. let me know.
\

Tim.
RazorBacker1
RazorBacker1

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2009-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by pokerbooster Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:08 am

thank you for taking the time to write that. It was very interested and hope to read more stories from you. thanks again

pokerbooster
Member Rank: 7 Duey Newie
Member Rank: 7 Duey Newie

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by chefjimmy Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:23 am

Amen
chefjimmy
chefjimmy

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:23 pm

god bless the men and woman who risk there lives for us .

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down