Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

T.B.D.'s $10,000 Challenge

+20
NicolasWSOP
unibamber
thehogster65
datsme53
LilWeed
chefjimmy
DiscinFrog
eberetta1
bam1119
slyone66
DizzyDog
k9ofspades
dijwaila
10Zav01
Jeester
konawajim
KEVINfromHB
ryodejaneiro
Aintryte
The Big Donk
24 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

T.B.D.'s $10,000 Challenge - Page 3 Empty T B D 10000 DOLLAR CHALLENGE

Post by Guest Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:52 am

good job tbd like the chart just make sure u dont flat line to much cause no mouth to mouth resucitation here old joke sure u heard it last line doctor says u gonna die .

Back to top Go down

T.B.D.'s $10,000 Challenge - Page 3 Empty Re: T.B.D.'s $10,000 Challenge

Post by The Big Donk Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:17 pm

Place: Doyle's Room
Date: November 11th, 2008

Thanks for the support Jeester. Hearing from you all makes me feel like I've got the old "homefield advantage" when I hit the tables.

And if I flatline, trucker, it's O.K. to just let me go. lol. I heard a joke on the Blue Collar Comedy Tour last night that cracked me up:

A Doctor tells his patient, "I've got some bad news and some worse news."
Patient says, "What's the bad news?"
Doctor says, "You've only got 24 hours to live."
"Oh my God," the patient says. "What's the worse news?!"
The Doctor says, "I forgot to call you yesterday."

lol!

Anyhow, onto the subject at hand. After a brief Omaha grind, we added a few more chips to the roll. I'm currently in a $0.05/$0.10 Omaha ring game and just got dealt 3d 5d Kd Ks. Flopped a flush draw but the board paired on the turn, and the odds got way too pricy, so I went ahead and got out of the way.

Well, off to the grind!

Date: November 11th, 2008
Current Bankroll: $103.57
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://donkhard.com/default.aspx

Back to top Go down

T.B.D.'s $10,000 Challenge - Page 3 Empty Have I ever mentioned that I like winning?

Post by The Big Donk Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:56 pm

Date: November 14th, 2008

Winning sure is fun. Especially when it's happening to me.

I couldn't sleep worth a lick this morning. Was out grinding late last night and didn't get to bed til the wee hours of the A.M. A couple hours later I popped awake and just could not fall asleep, no matter how hard I tried.

So I got up and hit the tables at Doyle's Room. I sat at one Hold'em game and one Omaha game. I don't usually do much multi-tabling, but this morning I needed a little extra action to keep my tired mind alert.

Turns out there was a reason for my early rise this morning. I ended up having a great game at both tables. I was also up in time to play the big morning freeroll, but didn't do so well, finishing way outside the money. I also played the sharpshooter tourney for a dime. Ten places paid. I made it to the final 2 tables, but couldn't quite get to the FT.

Anyhow, we're up some more in The Challenge. $10,000 looks closer and closer every day.

Date: November 14th, 2008
Current Bankroll: $126.74
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dijwaila Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:35 am

$125 after two months ... well done considering you don't play that often. keep the updates coming and let us know if you're playing any more tournaments too.

dijwaila
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeester Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:36 pm

Nearly a month since last post.
Anything new happened?

Jeester

Jeester
Member Rank: Two Pair
Member Rank: Two Pair

Number of posts : 59

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Donk Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:24 am

Jeester wrote:Nearly a month since last post.
Anything new happened?

Jeester

Sorry for the long delay. It has been too long. I've got to admit I've been avoiding this particular post because things have been going nowhere but downhill since my last post. I've kept waiting until I have something good to report, but I can't wait forever.

Since my last post, I've managed to crush my bankroll down to $89.04, mainly through SNG's. Even in the ring, I've basically just been breaking even or sustaining small losses. No big wins anywhere on DR. At this rate I'll be freerolling again soon.

At this point I'm considering either withdrawing from DR and moving the challenge elsewhere, or possibly cleaning out ALL accounts and combining the rolls from all the different rooms where I play. Personally, I think plan B would probably be the funner option.

Wow, that was awesome. As I'm writing this I just got Aces busted in the ring and lost another $4.50. Right now I'm at $84.45 with what I've got in the other ring.

I am going to try one more SNG. I can't help but think I'm on a cold run and due any time now. That could be a deluded train of thought, but with how much money I've made playing SNG's, I'd hate to think that I actually suck at them Laughing .

Just pulled off a big bluff with KJ suited after I flopped nothing and won about $0.90.

Oh. Just pulled off another one, a semi-bluff this time with AQs on the flush draw for a few more cents.

Crap I have AA again. I think I'll go all in pre. Changed my mind and raised 6 BBs. Took the pot pre. Whew. BR at $85.76.

Okay, where was I. Ah yes, one more SNG.

So tell me, help from the Donkhard Squad please! What do you all think about the previously mention room change ideas? Probably the biggest prob I've got with DR is the time differences in the high traffic times and my typical playing times. There are not many busy tables on my favorite times and it's hard to find an Omaha game late night Pacific Time.

AT suited from the small blind. Called a raise and flopped a gutshot. Check and called the flop, and let with a 2/3 pot bet on the turn to take the pot. BTW, rabbit shows that I would have hit that gutshot. Too bad I didn't get called!

Dodging this post when things are going downhill is not keeping it real here. That's poker. Ups and downs.

Another semi-bluff with a nut flush draw worked. Rabbit shows I would have hit. Dammit where's the calls?! Probably get them when I miss! lol.

Wow the beer is kicking in hardcore. TBD signing off. BR, after all that, @ $88.85 at the moment. Let me know what you think of the room changes. Till next time.
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 10Zav01 Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:00 am

hehe, well i went from $141 to 0 in a month or month-and-half. i played poorly a lot. played good a lot. my over all problem was not quitting when i got a head i guess. and letting my emotions and ego get the best of me. which is okay. i know what to work on. which is amusing since this only happens online. brick and mortar poker i fold so much and play tighter.

the major reason this happened though, is eurolinx didn thave omaha in my budget =/

omaha is the one game i can play correctly for super long periods of time

10Zav01
Member Rank: Trips
Member Rank: Trips

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by dijwaila Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:40 pm

most people try to forget a bad session after it happens, so can't say i'd inclined to write as much during a bad swing either ... happy for the update though, even if it's not on the greatest of terms.

dijwaila

Back to top Go down

Post by dijwaila Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:52 pm

also ...

i've been thinking about consolidating accounts lately too ... maybe evening opening a new one where i finally remember to get a rakeback deal, lol.

in your situation t.b.d., i'd recommend going with pokerstars or full tilt, there's always a game happening or tournament starting soon regardless of where you're playing from or what you want to play.

and hey, this railbird would happy to see you bring the action over to full tilt!

dijwaila

Back to top Go down

Post by ryodejaneiro Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:07 pm

dijwaila wrote:most people try to forget a bad session after it happens, so can't say i'd inclined to write as much during a bad swing either ... happy for the update though, even if it's not on the greatest of terms.

I agree. It's tough to write about how you're not doing well. If anything, I guess updates could help you put things into perspective (okay, I'm not sure what I mean by this, but it sounds good right?).

I do like the idea of pooling the money into one account, if you're comfortable with not having money on other rooms that is. Pooling the money may make you focus more effectively especially if you tend to be drawn to other poker rooms because you have some money - that tends to happen with me.

As for poker rooms, I tend to default to FT and Stars. I haven't played many real money games on FT since I don't have much to play with yet, but Stars I think tends to have a wide range of games available to people with smaller starting bankrolls.
ryodejaneiro
ryodejaneiro
Member Rank: Flush
Member Rank: Flush

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Donk Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:05 am

Date: January 5th, 2008

After a long run of more video gaming and working than poker (playing the donkhard games of course though Very Happy ), I found some time tonight for a little action on Doyle's Room. Nothing major to report by the time the smoke cleared, but I moved up a few cents. Mainly some donations and then getting paid after flopping a set.

It looks like I may have some time to play tomorrow. If not, I probably won't make it back to the challenge until sometime next week.

10Zav01: What works for me is to call it quits and leave the table the next time the blinds come around at any point where my chipstack reaches 10% of my total bankroll. I've found that by sticking to some strict numbers, I come to the table in a totally different mindstate. Right now with the current bankroll at $89.08, I've got to do a little (very simple) math before I sit down so I know exactly how much to bring and exactly when I must leave Sad .

If I do well, I have to leave at (move the decimal over a smidge) $8.90.

Divide that in half for my "5%," I can bring $4.45 into the ring (or an SNG). Now all I've got to do is find a table that'll support my buy-in. It's strange though. When I go into a game blind, playing just to play, I play to win. But what is winning? How much is ever enough? But when I know I've got to leave at $8.90, I don't really want to get there, because I love playing poker. When I hit 10%, I have to call it quits. Of course I don't want to lose either, because the only thing I love more than playing poker is winning, at anything. Often I'll find myself reaching 10% sooner than I'd like, but I can leave satisfied knowing I had a profitable run... if any of that made any sense.

Date: January 5th, 2009
Current Bankroll: $89.08
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dijwaila Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:31 am

that made perfect sense tbd ... and something i'd do well to remember too, lol.

dijwaila

Back to top Go down

T.B.D.'s $10,000 Challenge - Page 3 Empty (o=

Post by DiscinFrog Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:05 pm

i do the same thing.. how do ya stay focused on the management of such bankroll?

DiscinFrog
Member Rank: 7 Duey Newie

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by dijwaila Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:45 am

how about you tbd, any news regarding your challenge?

dijwaila

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Donk Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:11 pm

Date: February 23rd, 2009

This morning my wife slept in late, so I amused myself on Doyle's Room. I've been over there a few times since the last update, and managed to grind up the bankroll $93.62, mainly through some PLO8 ring games. I haven't played much in the way of tournaments other than the Gold Chip games. I am excited about the big $75.00 Donkhard game this weekend.

Anyhow, I had another good run in the PLO8 ring this morning. Handed out a few tough lessons and only charged $5.01 for my services Wink .

Just wanted to give a quick update. Gotta run. Good luck at the tables, everyone!

Date: February 23rd, 2009
Current Bankroll: $98.63
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

T.B.D.'s $10,000 Challenge - Page 3 Empty bankroll mgmt n me

Post by chefjimmy Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:58 pm

well my bankroll at the highest on one site "ub" is very close to yours...but i use a different system to calculate how much i can but in for...i did have a horror of bad luck in the last few months,but using our close proximity in balances..what i do is this..i,m only playing 5-10c ring games...however since i consider the amount a short stack..i use a short stack stragedy and try playing only the top 7 or so hands depending on table play and position...but i do play multiple tables....using this stragedy yes i pay a few more blinds but i,m also hitting a hand at a higher frequency,as i,m seeing more hands enabling me to increase my stack at a faster ratio...have you tried this?
chefjimmy
chefjimmy

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Donk Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:03 pm

Date: February 24th, 2009

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm at a $.0.10 Omaha H/L table right now on Doyle's Room. If you'd like to come play or watch, I'm at table Boston 12497, screen name's The Big Donk!

I'll edit this post before I leave to wrap it up.

Had a great run over there. Won a $23+ dollar pot when I turned the nut flush and rivered the nut low to scoop it all. Busted 4 players off the table with that hand. It was a thing of beauty. So with the $4+ change I bought in for, I ended up leaving with another $19.12 to add to the bankroll.

I have not yet tried that strategy you mentioned, chefjimmy. I don't do too much multi-tabling. I prefer to play one game at a time, but on many occasions will play 2 to 4 tables. I'm curious, when you play that strategy, at what point do you decide to leave. If you double up at one table, do you leave all tables? What if you bust out at a table? Do you rebuy, leave the table, or leave all tables?

Date: February 24th, 2009
Current Bankroll: $117.75
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Donk Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:35 pm

Date: February 25th, 2009

Found me a cozy little $0.02/$0.04 NL Omaha H/L game to get into this morning. I sat down with the max buy in of $4 (although my bankroll would allow me to buy in for $5.88, there were no dime games running and the other stakes that were running were too high).

Eventually all 10 seats at the table filled, but by then I had managed to knock my $4 chipstack down to just a shade over a dollar. A couple of players at the table started going apes***, and soon others were joining in the melee, going all in pre with AFC. I caught Aces and limped in UTG. The guy who had initiated the donkey behavior at the table went all in. I called, and the Aces held.

A couple of hands later I had Kings. Again, we were all in, this time in a four-way. The Kings set and held, and I scooped a good pot. In the end, I manged to grind my $4 stack down to a dollar and then all the way back up to finish off leaving the table with $11.57.

I did hang out in the DH chatroom while I played, but no one came to visit. Maybe next time.

Date: February 25th, 2009
Current Bankroll: $125.32
Current Goal: $10,000
% of the way to the goal: 1.25%
$9,874.68 to go!
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LilWeed Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:21 pm

wow kool journey so far.
A good friend of mine is tearing it up at the new Dayle's (cake net)

he says he has been getting more that usual GOLD cards ...may b since its new room ,who knows prob coincidence

But this will give you more weapons to play some bigger mtts (gold card games)

Will good luck...THIS can be done.....true free roller here ..NEVER got in my pocket to play online(boy do i miss net teller)
LilWeed
LilWeed

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Donk Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:58 pm

Date: March 1st, 2009

Last night I brought $4 to a PLO8 game and basically just played like a goof. Not real sure why I was playing like that. Guess we all just need a change of pace every so often. Anyhow, kissed that whole $4 goodbye. Oops!

Tonight I played much better. Folded everything until I caught AKJT from the button. I called a raise, along with a few other players.

The flop came Ks Qh 7s.

Everyone checked to the raiser, who bet the pot. My outs are A J T or 9. I had no spades in the hole, so I'm not looking for another spade. That leaves 2 Aces, 2 Jacks, and 2 Tens, and 3 9's for a total of 9 outs. I figure if everyone else folds, I probably don't need to worry about the Spades, so that could give me 4 additional outs for a total of 13. I make the call and everyone else folds. Nice.

The turn comes a red 9. BINGO! My opponent bets the pot again, and I shove all in.

He makes a relatively easy call, not too much thought, and turns over a set of Kings.

The river drops another 9 to give him a full house and I leave the table with 24 cents the next time the blinds come around to me.

Grr.

So now I'm going to watch the Lord of the Rings, one of my all time favorites, right up there with Star Wars, Saving Private Ryan, Transformers, etc. I've still gotta finish the end of "Fellowship" and get started on "Towers" until my wife is done with her homework.

So may you all have better luck than I. Tell next time.

Date: March 1, 2009
Current Bankroll: $117.56
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by datsme53 Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:58 am

The Big Donk wrote:
The river drops another 9 to give him a
full house and I leave the table with 24 cents the next time the blinds
come around to me.

Oh.. the pain! I feel for you BD. I just came off 2 freerolls on
different sites where I lost, between the two of 'em, 7 hands in less
than 10 minutes where I had a big advantage in each hand and got pushed
hard in each case and I pushed all in each time and lost all of 'em to
go busted in both tourneys and it was the river every time! Sad
I had over 20,000 chips in both of 'em and was in the top 22 in both
when it started. I couldn't get any hand to hold up! Talk about a crash
and burn lol! Mad

In your case.. I don't see how you could play it any different. Poker..... I guess. I'll bet that makes you feel better huh? .............................NOT!............................
datsme53
datsme53
Member Rank: Straight Flush

Number of posts : 1583
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

T.B.D.'s $10,000 Challenge - Page 3 Empty Must be a long Winter

Post by The Big Donk Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:42 am

It must be a long Winter this year, because I've been on quite a cold run for a bit now. I actually seemed to be having a better run on the old network, but I don't want to get into the site-blaming game. I've had some incredible runs on the same network on a different site.

No it's not just Doyle's Room where I'm running cold. It's happening all over the place, online and live. As datsme53 pointed out, there's really not much else one can do other than play their best. If you can get all of yours and their chips in when you're the best and a heavy favorite, you're playing solid, winning poker, whether you win that particular hand or not.

However, as of late, I've been getting pounded by the underdog in the hand. For the most part I've been getting them in best, but I just can't hold up. And if you think maybe I've been doing some sucking out when I'm the dog, you'd be wrong. No such luck.

Again, this cold run I'm on is not exclusive to any one poker site. I've been losing money in live ring games and online at various networks and independent sites. I've been coming close to cashing in tourney play all over the place, but close counts with hand grenades, not poker tournament play. And it's really inaccurate to say I've been coming close to cashing all over the place. Lately, I've often been busted out early by scenarios such as: shoving all-in for 2,500 into an 800 pot and getting called by a guy on a flush draw (who of course hits). I've even been taking some nasty beatings involving backdoor runner straights, flushes, or counterfeits. When I can manage to survive the early stages, that's when I've been "coming close."

Cold runs happen. That's why I stick to bankroll management, for times like these. I can take some small losses until it turns back around in my favor.

There have also been alot of changes in my life away from the tables. I've become far busier than ever before over the last couple of weeks. Often, personal changes can have the tiniest, almost invisible effects on how we play, but these little differences can make major changes to the win/loss ratio.

So I've decided to take a brief hiatus of sorts. affraid The Big Donk's gonna stop playing poker!!!

No. I'm not going to stop playing poker. Instead, I'm going to avoid Hold' em and the ring. Until I get back to the top of my game, I'm going to stick only to the Donkhard Games (of course! I always enjoy hangin out with you all!), and non-hold 'em MTTs and SNGs. These games are a bit tougher to find than hold'em, but I think maybe the change of pace may help me to regain my focus on my overall poker game. Plus I'll be playing slightly less poker through my cold run.

Since I'm in the mood to play, I'm off now to see if I can find a some sort of an Omaha, Stud, or Mixed-game tourney.

Good luck to all the donkhards out there playing poker today, and if you've got any luck to spare, swing some my way! Very Happy
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thehogster65 Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:47 pm

I just read this whole post from start to finish, and all I got to say is hang in there TBD. Take a break, play a different game, or just go relax a spend some quality time with the family. When you are ready and got your game and mind back into take off again. We will all be here waiting for your next update and I am going to try to make it and watch you play. Have to be on a weekend thou since I work Mon. thru Fri. I'm still amazed at all the info in this forum. Keep up the good work and we appreciate all that you do.See ya on the felt.
thehogster65
thehogster65

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Donk Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:06 pm

It's good advice, hogster. I do intend to take the rest of the evening off. Tonight we'll watch some Pirates of the Caribbean, Desperate Housewives (yeah, I watch that), and some Celebrity Apprentice w/ Annie Duke!

Before I call it a night, just wanted to let everyone know how my latest adjustment has worked out. I found a $3 turbo 6-player PLO8 SNG on Doyle's Room. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it didn't take long to fill.

First hand in I hit won with a 23456 straight. It was nut for high, and turned out to be low enough for the low. Bang. Best part about it was that 2 other players ended up giving me all of their chips. 2 down 3 to go.

A couple of escalations I took out my 3rd victim. Not long thereafter I claimed my 4th victim, and the next hand I took out the last player, who sadly (for him) was heavily dominated in the chipstack game.

It was a thing of beauty. I can't remeber the last time I single handedly knocked out every single player in an SNG.

Winner (that's me) took home $12 in 1st place prize money. Very Happy

Now I'm off for some family time. See you all soon. Best of luck to all the Donkhards at the tables!
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by datsme53 Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:37 pm

The Big Donk wrote:
It was a thing of beauty. I can't remeber the last time I single handedly knocked out every single player in an SNG.

Winner (that's me) took home $12 in 1st place prize money. Very Happy

Okay TBD! Sounds like a good one to build on for sure! Very Happy Take this one and use the momentum to run up that bankroll! Good luck on your next try at Doyles! May the flops be with you! Smile
datsme53
datsme53

Number of posts : 1583
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next