Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

I thought you might like to read this... (Pro chat with Chris "Jesus" Ferguson)

+2
livinthelife
Jeester
6 posters

Go down

I thought you might like to read this... (Pro chat with Chris "Jesus" Ferguson) Empty I thought you might like to read this... (Pro chat with Chris "Jesus" Ferguson)

Post by Jeester Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:47 am

I know I found it quite interesting...

A Pro chat with Chris "Jesus" Ferguson
Posted August 17th 2008

Enjoy

• QUESTION FROM Arjan de Jong: Hey Chris, What is the best way to build your bankroll from the low limits? cash games or SnG? Any advise you got for me?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: I think cash games are easier. There is less variance, so you can use more of your bankroll. SNG's are ok too. multi table tournies are the harderst

• QUESTION FROM Brampyr: hi mr ferguson, i'm a big fan of yours from belgium, europe. i wish you the best of luck in the main event. my question: how often would the average poker player have to take bad beats ?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: the average poker player gives bad beats just as often as he takes them. To give a number we would need to define "bad beat". Do you need to be all in to count as a bad beat? is losing a 55% 45% proposition enough? How about 65%-35% or 70%-30%?

• QUESTION FROM me_n_2dogs: I'm 58-grandma and started playing hold em in April 08,on-line - never sat at a live table - How do you determine what action to take, when players go all in blind on first hand of tourn?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: I wish I knew. It doesn't happen very often in the games I play. If everyone else folds to you, anything slightlyt above an average hand should do. K7 or Q9 55%-45% proposition which is easily good enough. I would be happy with K2 or Q6, giving me

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: a 1% to 2% edge.

• QUESTION FROM Hakf: Are you wearing a hat and glasses right now?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: neither.

• QUESTION FROM Tom Wagner: hi chris. i love poker, offline iam good...but online...i loose so much money here. what should i do? give up online poker? its really hard. thx for reading.

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: some people transition easily, some take longer, and it may depend on their style. Move down in limits, and beat the lower limits before moving up. This is always a good idea when attacking a new game.

• QUESTION FROM Luen35: Chris, do you have a lucky hand that you play all the time?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: just AA. That's the luckiest hand I've found.

• QUESTION FROM Timp17: chris what were you thinking calling robert varkoni with poket jacks and K Q on board? What did u put him on?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: I guess I put him on enough of a bluff. should have put him on QT (his favorite hand) and folded.

• QUESTION FROM Str8Danks: Chris, how serious do pros take online tournament such as this?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: with over $400,000 for first I think they all take it very seriously.

• QUESTION FROM XeeeX: hello Chris

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: hello.

• QUESTION FROM JOELPOKERGOD: Hi Chris, Is Phil Hellmuth really a good player?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: I don't think he won all those bracelets from dumb luck. However, I think it's safe to say that he's not as good as he thinks he is. No one is that good!

• QUESTION FROM GusBiel: Chris, is there any reason why you prefer to play more tournaments than cash games?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: I like tournaments a lot more. They are dynamic. I find live action to be more if a grind.

• QUESTION FROM robpop: Any books coming out soon?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: No new ones, just the Full Tilt Poker Styrategy Guide.

• QUESTION FROM mrbeer3: Hey.. who has the best chance of winning this event in your opinion?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: thumper18. He's the chip leader as of now.

• QUESTION FROM Netthug: Hey Chris, GL in FTOPS ME, how do you stay motionless and not have any tells, when you're playing in large events and at final tables?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: Early in my career, not giving off tells was something I worked on. Nowadays I don't even think about it. It's become second nature to me.

• QUESTION FROM jwde2009: how long did it take you to start earning money off of poker?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: I always made money off poker, weather it was playing with friends in high school, or low stakes in Vegas when I was young. The key is always playing opponents that are even worse than you (game selection).

• QUESTION FROM ChinaTall: chris, do you have any 'pre-game' routines for long big buy in online tournaments?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: I like to get a lot of rest the night before. Otherwise, nothing.

• QUESTION FROM Brampyr: does the way you play tournaments differ from how you play cashgames ?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: I really try to approach the two the same. I think I change my game in tournaments only in response to my opponents who may play to survive in a tournament.

• QUESTION FROM donkit24: Hey Chris, why dont we see you playing the highstakes cashgames?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: I prefer tournaments, and I can play all the poker I want just playing tournaments. That being said I may start playing those games someday.

• QUESTION FROM GuillaumeL21: Chris I know you probably don't care but I want you to know that your article on bankroll managment got me 2000$ in 1 month of nonstop playing. So just wanted to thank you.

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: You're welcome. You would be suprised how many messages I get like yours.

• QUESTION FROM pebbleboy: Hey Chris! Any Thought on the pros in this tourny? Do they have a chance?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: Red Pros are outnumbered 4818 to 62. I don't like our chances at all. We're a big dog to have one of us make the final table.

• QUESTION FROM bubba11235: what do you think is the best hand in poker besides AA?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: KK.

• QUESTION FROM KatieMuffin: How do you deal with being card dead in a large MTT?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: fold a lot. I don't like forcing the action and trying to create something from nothing. Often that's the way to create nothing starting with a stack of chips.

• QUESTION FROM PHEESHblubblub: How do people become a pro without having luck in big tournaments? Luck is the main part for big events isnt it?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: Luck is a big part of tournaments. Winning a big tournament doesn't make you a pro. The best and "easiest" way to become a pro is to consistantly beat the side games.

• QUESTION FROM java_king1: hey chris, what was your original bankroll when u started playing poker?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: Less than $5. I used to play for nickles in 4th grade, and moved up to quarters in high school.

• QUESTION FROM truepaint: Chris, are you willing to play all pocket pairs or do you draw a line at some point?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: I generally fold small pocket pairs <66 from first position. If 1st position raises I generally fold pairs up to 88 or 99.

• QUESTION FROM Semper_0038: on peut poser des question en francais?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: Oui.

• QUESTION FROM Timp17: what was your first major win that you had? winnin o tha green?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: I would say WSOP 2000 $2500 7-card-stud. I think My bigest win before that was less than $50,000. and I'd gotten close to big wins many times.

• QUESTION FROM American MiSFiT: hello!!what is the best poker school i can goto to becomin a pro?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: The school of hard knocks. I think the best way to learn is to discuss poker strategy with friends that you respect.

• QUESTION FROM TA90: u played NL cash game or which game? 6max, fullring?...

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: i like 9 handed. They are easier to multi-table.

• QUESTION FROM spike4040: any tips for reaching final tables? i keep practising but i always seem to bust out in the teens in tourney's of 90 to 400 players

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: If you always get there with a short stack, try a little more aggression in the later stages. Otherwise, keep trying, you'll get there.

• QUESTION FROM JokerMan25: in your opinion chris, what is the most important thing to keep in mind when playing in a big high stakes tournament?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: Nothing. PLay as if you were in your regular game.

• QUESTION FROM NJ Sniper: AQ UTG mid/late stages of a tourney (9 handed)

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: Raise to 2.5 BB.

• QUESTION FROM JOELPOKERGOD: Hey Chris, Do you like 5-card draw? Do you think it should be added to the site?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: I prefer other games but I think it should be added to the site.

• QUESTION FROM labumzer: How much time do you spend on online poker on a day?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: I try to play 8-10 hours a week. I used to play a lot more.

• QUESTION FROM HLX75: Hi Chris,,,,,,Iam reaching good results in low sitandgo NH ,,,but at cash it is not working ,,,so how to be a winner in cash games, and what is the main different between them?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: There is a different skill in playing short handed and 9 handed, and in playing short stacked and with a big stack of chips. SNG"s will be better for players who are good short handed and players who play a small stack well. You could try six-handed.

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: Also, your opponents will tend to be more aggr4essive in a live game, so overly aggressive strategies won't work as well.

• QUESTION FROM Hakf: How many hours were you playing a day on average when making $0 into $10,000?

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: 10 hours a week.

• QUESTION FROM TheItalian705: chris with a br of about 10k what size tourneys and cash games should i be playing

ANSWER FROM Chris Ferguson: buy in no more than 5% for cash games, 2% for tournies. $500 buy in cash game, $200 buy in tournies.

• (Sorry it's not all here, It was too big to post it all)

Jeester
    Member Rank: Two Pair

Number of posts : 59
    Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

I thought you might like to read this... (Pro chat with Chris "Jesus" Ferguson) Empty Re: I thought you might like to read this... (Pro chat with Chris "Jesus" Ferguson)

Post by livinthelife Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:22 pm

tx for the post
    i especially agree with Chris's bankroll management limits ...5% for Ring, 2% for Tournys.
    Good advice for anybody.
    livinthelife
    livinthelife
    Member Rank: 7 Duey Newie

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2008-12-06

Back to top Go down

I thought you might like to read this... (Pro chat with Chris "Jesus" Ferguson) Empty Re: I thought you might like to read this... (Pro chat with Chris "Jesus" Ferguson)

Post by coolnout Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:21 am

livinthelife wrote:tx for the post
    i especially agree with Chris's bankroll management limits ...5% for Ring, 2% for Tournys.
    Good advice for anybody.

Same I think too many people make the mistake of playing above their limits. It's really good advice.

coolnout

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Surf Rat Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:32 pm

his fav hand is AA ...well hell yeah ...but then again that hand has been a bit of a bane to me....his take on "luck" to win in tournaments...I don't know about "luck" I think probablly more the variance of chance happenstance in the context of the situation...
    Surf Rat
    Surf Rat
    Member Rank: Flush
    Member Rank: Flush

Number of posts : 327
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:58 pm

Nice Read ........

AA
    lol
    What a concept AA are a favoright hand.
    Good Choice.
    lol

Chris's bankroll management has always been very good and the advice should be taken and utilised by most players.
    Many play outside ther Bankroll Limits and feel the pain later.

Good Advice

Thanks for the post.

Roller
    Member Rank: Boat
    Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by whakycus Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:01 am

Very nice read. please post more or send info as to where to find for myself. ty
    whakycus
    whakycus

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down