Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book

+3
PowerPlay777
dijwaila
The Big Donk
7 posters

Go down

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book Empty Phil Gordon's Little Green Book

Post by The Big Donk Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:58 pm

I haven't opened this one up in a while, but Phil Gordon's Little Green Book has got to be the most memorable poker book I've read. It more or less serves as a poker manual, although it doesn't read like a manual. Phil Gordon's signature sarcasm runs abundant and makes the book an interesting read.
He covers just about everything there is to know about Hold 'em, and manages to do it all in a relatively few number of pages. He thoroughly covers the different ways to play different hands, preflop strategy, flop, turn, and river betting, board texture, aggression, tournament strategy, pot odds, poker psychology, and plenty more.
My personal favorite parts of the book are his pearls of wisdom on sets, top pair, and shortstack tourney strategy.
Great book for anyone looking to make serious improvements to their No-Limit Hold 'em game.
I've got this and about 50 other books on file, but I would recommend purchasing Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. It's compact and easy to carry, and because of the succinct style of writing, it can be taken in small sips while waiting in line at the store or on a break at work.
Another book I would recommend that covers all major forms of poker is Phil Helmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros. I've got this one in print, file, and audiofile. I like to load poker audiofiles on my mp3 player and listen to them while I'm at the poker table or while I sleep. Maybe it'll subliminally improve my game. lol.

T.B.D.
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://donkhard.com/default.aspx

Back to top Go down

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book Empty Re: Phil Gordon's Little Green Book

Post by dijwaila Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:00 am

well timed recommendation t.b.d. ... i picked up a copy of phil's (gordon, that is) green and blue book. i'll post some thoughts once i get to the back cover ... though, it will likely be a week or two before i am able to read it. as t.b.d.'s post is evidence of, this book has come well recommended.

t.b.d., could you comment further on phil hellmeuth's book. perhaps it is has more to do with opinions of hellmeuth than the quality of the book ... but yours is the first positive evaluation i have encountered!

dijwaila
Member Rank: Boat
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by PowerPlay777 Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:02 pm

Have heard the blue or green book is a great book!
Would love to have an audiofile of Hellmuth`s book, as long it`s not him reading it. lol Not sure how much of that I could take. LMAO
PowerPlay777
PowerPlay777
Member Rank: Flush

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Donk Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:04 pm

dijwaila wrote:could you comment further on phil hellmeuth's book. perhaps it is has more to do with opinions of hellmeuth than the quality of the book ... but yours is the first positive evaluation i have encountered!

I think you're probably right about the negative feedback regarding Helmuth's book. Alot of the opinions may be based more on people's personal feelings about the author more than the quality of the book. Another reason for the negative responses may have been that fact that people expected a book that focused mainly on NLHE from such a strong NLHE player, but only a small section of the book focused on Hold 'em.

Now it has been quite some time since I've cracked open this particular read, so maybe I do have it built up bigger in my mind than it really is. I actually got into Helmuth's book back when I only played Texas Hold 'em for serious money. I'd play small stakes in the other games, hoping to figure them out, but never really knew what I was doing. So this book was sort of an eye opener for me as far as the O A R S and E games go. The most valuable pieces of information in the book for me were the advice on starting hands and the explanations of low hands, which I must admit caused me considerable confusion back then.

Perhaps if I were to go back and read it again, it may all sound like a bunch of beginner nonsense to me now, but it had a serious positive impact on my branching out into other games, and to this day I still follow much of the advice I got from that book when playing the other, non-hold 'em games.

TBD
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Donk Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:08 pm

PowerPlay777 wrote:...Would love to have an audiofile of Hellmuth`s book, as long it`s not him reading it...

Bad news about the Helmuth audiobook, PowerPlay777.

It is Phil Helmuth reading it.

lol!

TBD
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PowerPlay777 Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:23 pm

Bad news about the Helmuth audiobook, PowerPlay777.

It is Phil Helmuth reading it.

lol!

TBD[/quote]

LOL, I`d still like to have it, I`m looking for an MP3 player now. Any one know where to get a good deal pn one?
PowerPlay777
PowerPlay777

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DizzyDog Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:41 am

the green book would be my rec. as well.
How about some poker videos recommendations?...the instrucyional ones... not PAD and shit llike that.....i have a truckload of them that i haven't had a chance to watch yet...or should videos be a hole nother thread?

DizzyDog
Member Rank: Two Pair
Member Rank: Two Pair

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by ryodejaneiro Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:55 am

DizzyDog wrote:the green book would be my rec. as well.
How about some poker videos recommendations?...the instrucyional ones... not PAD and shit llike that.....i have a truckload of them that i haven't had a chance to watch yet...or should videos be a hole nother thread?

I would be interested in learning more about instructional videos as well. I recently came across Daniel Negreanu's small ball strategy videos on youtube, but I haven't seen much else that's good.

The Little Green Book is good - too bad I just have it on audio, since I can probably get more out if it's in print, so I may have to buy the print version after I finish reading Harrington on Hold'em!
ryodejaneiro
ryodejaneiro

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ryodejaneiro Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Just thought I'd make a follow-up post on the Little Green Book. As I've mentioned before, I only have this on audio but I've listened to this a few times now and one thing that's helped me along the way is Phil's explanation of how he tends to vary his bet sizes according to position. That's probably the most memorable aspect for me and something that seems to work well for me in low stakes tourneys.

Also, not sure if anyone knows about this, but if you go to the Prevent Cancer website and search "Bad Beat on Cancer," you'll come to a page that has a link that says "Phil Gordon's Poker Offer". If you make a donation through the link, you can get a poker gift like a signed copy of the Little Green Book. You'll be contributing towards a good cause and if you like, you can get something in return.
ryodejaneiro
ryodejaneiro

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by mlkmn5029 Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:04 pm

has any1 here read power hold'em strategy by daniel negreanu. i just got that book today and have started reading it. i think its gonna be a good book. only about 60 pages deep in it so far. but gonna study up on it alot in the coming days

mlkmn5029
Member Rank: 7 Duey Newie
Member Rank: 7 Duey Newie

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by datsme53 Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:02 am

I have this book in .pdf form if anyone is interested. Just had to go to a website and go through a couple ad pages and it also has a link to Everest Poker in the .zip file. It is about 10.4MB in the .pdf form and about 8.4MB in the .zip file form( which is actually a .rar file).
datsme53
datsme53
Member Rank: Straight Flush
Member Rank: Straight Flush

Number of posts : 1583
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down