Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

Badugi Strategy

4 posters

Go down

Badugi Strategy Empty Badugi Strategy

Post by PowerPlay777 Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:16 pm

Anyone play Badugi much???
PowerPlay777
PowerPlay777
Member Rank: Flush

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Badugi Strategy Empty Or Razz

Post by PowerPlay777 Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:17 pm

No editing huh?
PowerPlay777
PowerPlay777

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Badugi Strategy Empty badugi/razz ...

Post by dijwaila Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:02 pm

i have yet to play badugi .. am curious too!

razz on the other hand, i am familiar with. it is the most statistically guided version of poker i have played. after i have finished reading phil gordon's books, i will read 'the theory of poker' by david skalansky. i probably should have started with that one ... but i'm smashed out of my mind enough that my logic only makes sense to me anyway!

i have glanced through david's book and recommend it and ray zee's seven card stud book to anybody looking for good reading material on the subject.
i will read through all the books i mention thoroughly and post reviews to the 'recommended reading' thread.

for the mean time ... razz is a seven card stud game, with the object of having the lowest hand possible. straight are not recognized for this game, so the best hand is ... A(1), 2, 3, 4, 5 ... second is A, 2, 3, 4, 6 ... third best is 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... etc.

the hands are evaluated from highest cards to lowest, with the first lower of any sequence being the best hand. with the lowest sequence being the winner, in the case between the second and third best hand ... the sixes tie and 4 is lower than 5.

dijwaila
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Badugi Strategy Empty Re: Badugi Strategy

Post by DizzyDog Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:44 pm

well i've never won a badugi tourney...played quite a few though. i'm probly the wrong person to be giving badugi advice.... but hey, what the hell. heres my 2 cents:
Badugi is played with four hole cards, and then you get 3 draws... betiing rounds all the way through.
The winning hand is, alot liek razz, the four (or ssometimes even 3 if everyone's got a pair) lowest cards. However, a Badugi would trump even A234 if any of the cards in A234 are suited.
A Badugi is simply 4 cards of all 4 different suits. And then if there are multiple players who have Badugi at showdown, then the winner wil be the player with the 4 lowest cards in his Badugi.
The way i play is to always draw for Badugi. If i got Ac 5d 7h 9h, then i'll throw away the 9h as that will leave me with the A 5 7 rainbow. If i catch something like 4d on the draw, now i'll throw away my 5d since the 4d is now my lowest diamond. So all i'm drawing for now is a spade. Now if say i draw a Jack of spades.... i have a descision to make if the pot gets hefty. is my jack high badugi good? should i muck? or do i throw away my jack and hope to draw a lower spade?....which isn't likely...i'm more likely to kill my badugi and just turn it into a low hand.
i'm not a real big fan of a high badugi, but sometimes i'll play it.... like sometimes in holdem i'll showdown king high....and win sometimes.
but generally speaking i'll muck alot of high badugi's to a big bet.
For starting hands i'm really looking for low cards. if i've got 3 suited cards....muck it! if i've got alot of big cards, or espeially pairs with big cards.
wow i just went back and read that..... i'm not sure if any of that really makes any sense at all.
But that's how i play.... and like i said, i'm not very good at Badugi. But i do really like the game. i would love to hear other peoples input on how to play the game right. And maybe a Badugi strategy.book if anyone knows of one of those.

DizzyDog
Member Rank: Two Pair
Member Rank: Two Pair

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by konawajim Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:39 pm

Wow that is some post

Sorry I've never heard of this game
konawajim
konawajim
Member Rank: Straight
Member Rank: Straight

Number of posts : 184

Back to top Go down

Badugi Strategy Empty badugi link ...

Post by dijwaila Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:54 am

thanks dizzy.

i located a general description of badugi on wikipedia as well. here is the address ... wikipedia.org/wiki/Badugi

dijwaila

Number of posts : 553

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down