Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

interesting article u got what it takes

4 posters

Go down

interesting article  u got what it takes Empty interesting article u got what it takes

Post by Guest Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:25 pm

Article on What it takes to be a successful poker player
Thought you all may enjoy this article:

The 5 traits of a winning poker player
Article by Steven Ruddock
Boston Poker Examiner

Over the years I’ve often pondered what separates winning players from losing ones. After all, anyone with $15 can purchase a book that outlines all the basic strategies of the game. Even easier, they can simply go online, and frequent poker forums or peruse archived articles on sites such as cardplayer.com. There is no lack of information on poker these days!

So, why is it that over 90% of players lose money playing poker? Well, I am of the opinion that just like athletics or academics, certain people have natural talents that help them succeed in poker.

After a lot of thought, and discussion with other players, I’ve come up with 5 traits that a poker player must possess in order to be a winner. They are:

• Discipline
• Focus
• A strong work ethic
• Mental toughness
• Honest with themselves

Discipline - The word discipline has very wide ranging definitions, so let me be clear; discipline in poker is when you know what the right play is, and you have the discipline to follow through and make it. It’s one thing to know to fold the nut flush draw when the pot odds are not there, it’s a whole different world to actually make that play. A disciplined poker player not only has the knowledge, but is able to apply that knowledge.

Focus - A winning poker player is focused on the task at hand: the game and the players in it. Poker is an exercise in information collection, and the best way to gather that information is to pay attention. Forget about the game on TV, browsing the net, or any other distraction that can be found near a poker table.

A losing poker player is so amped up to see what he has, he ignores his opponents, and their reactions to their cards. You know that expression ‘you never get a second chance to make a first impression’, well you never get a second chance to see your opponent’s initial reaction to their cards. Don’t worry about your cards, or seeing the flop, they are always there for you to look at; your opponents reaction to their cards and the flop are not.

A strong work ethic - Players with strong work ethics do the little things: review questionable hands, read and re-read books, take notes on players, and so on. Losing players just can’t be bothered with these ‘small’ edges. What they don’t understand is, a small leak can sink a great ship.

Mental toughness - Winning players have the ability to depersonalize the game, this allows them to shrug off bad beats and stave off the elation of big wins for longer periods of time than most people. Losing players look for ‘revenge’ against the players that gave them the beat, and end up on tilt quite easily.

Honest with themselves - You can learn very quickly if a player is a winner or whiner loser, see who the blame for their losses. Winning players look within: Could I have done something differently to affect the outcome of that hand, or was it simply a bad beat. Losing players blame their opponents, the dealers, even the cards for their losses. Just because you are knowledgeable doesn’t mean you are infallible.

Back to top Go down

interesting article  u got what it takes Empty interesting article u got what it takes

Post by datsme53 Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:55 pm

trucker103 wrote:
• Discipline
• Focus
• A strong work ethic
• Mental toughness
• Honest with themselves

Now these qualities in a poker player are definitely what you want to have and constantly polish and improve on. It seems to me that these are very good qualities to have in your everyday walk of life. Funny how it seems that learning good qualities in being a poker player can help you in life.. ... can it not? Any thoughts here?
datsme53
datsme53
Member Rank: Straight Flush
Member Rank: Straight Flush

Number of posts : 1583
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

interesting article  u got what it takes Empty Re: interesting article u got what it takes

Post by illphillllllll Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:53 pm

thanks for the great post, i agree 100% with everything there. we all want to be good, but most hope for it instead of actually grabbing our poker life by the horns. i try to bring my Agame every time i play because i know how hard it is to succeed on a consistent basis. i have my bad days like most people but their few and far between now. i have the urge to gamble on hands just like the donks but i know there will always be a better spot if i stay patient.
illphillllllll
illphillllllll
Member Rank: Boat
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

interesting article  u got what it takes Empty Re: interesting article u got what it takes

Post by Guest Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:41 pm

illphillllllll wrote:thanks for the great post, i agree 100% with everything there. we all want to be good, but most hope for it instead of actually grabbing our poker life by the horns. i try to bring my Agame every time i play because i know how hard it is to succeed on a consistent basis. i have my bad days like most people but their few and far between now. i have the urge to gamble on hands just like the donks but i know there will always be a better spot if i stay patient.

that philly would probably fall under the focus or mental toughness i liked this article and datsme it is true in life as it is in poker one and the same . i will add one though respect for one another even if they donk u out or get that sukout hand its all part of the variences that go with poker .

Back to top Go down

interesting article  u got what it takes Empty RE:interesting article u got what it takes

Post by jimbeam77 Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:09 pm

I have never read a book on poker ,maybe i should so i can laern to play cause im no good i cant win chit
jimbeam77
jimbeam77
Member Rank: Flush
Member Rank: Flush

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:39 pm

jimbeam
u dont need to win chit its chips or cash lol i have never read no book either just found this on the internet .

Back to top Go down

Post by darkstar Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:27 pm

i like what up have come up with its true i have most of what u said u need to be a winning player i dont have all of them but that dont mean im not a loseing player or if someone in the same spot as me u only have some of what he said just work on it and change what i or you r doing rong and soon we will be winners and not losers thank for the insight man liked it very much.

darkstar
Member Rank: Two Pair
Member Rank: Two Pair

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down