Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

Poker is War

4 posters

Go down

Poker is War Empty Poker is War

Post by 8FOCUS8 Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:16 am

Poker is War! If we were to take a look at the game of Poker and strategies as if it were war.

Where only one can survive and anything less than victory is a loss. Would the mentality of how we play be any different?

I fined my self playing allot of free rolls lately. I’ve felt like I needed to focus on the basics of the game in order to progress my knowledge.

I have been spending allot of time on the math, in most cases it is basic. But in looking back on my prior play I don’t believe I’ve used it as often as

I should be, every hand. There are so many aspects of this game that require perfection. I’m sure we can spend hours discussing all the variances of

What it takes to be great at this game.

For now I am most concerned about pre tournament strategies. I believe it is necessary to visualize a win before it can happen.

In doing so what is it that you see happening from start to finish?

Quotes of the greatest warrior that ever lived!

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy, who is not, will be victorious.

Sun Tzu

He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious.

Sun Tzu

If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain to be in peril.

Sun Tzu

8FOCUS8
Member Rank: 7 Duey Newie
Member Rank: 7 Duey Newie

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Poker is War Empty Re: Poker is War

Post by datsme53 Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:23 pm

Poker, I think, is indeed a battle. You have to develop a strategy and stick to it, but also be flexible to adjust to whatever situations may occur. In the beginning you plan your attack or your defense as it pertains to each mini battle you face. As the game progresses, different challenges will come up. You need to use what ever tools you need to make the decisions you face. Math is one of those. By knowing at least the basic odds of each encounter, you will better be able to make correct and faster assessments of what to do in most situations.

Experience is a very important tool that a poker player can have also. With experience comes confidence in making the right decisions time and time again. When you obtain this element, successes will become more and more often. As the game progresses the decisions will likely become more challenging(especially in tournament play) and have more consequences.

In Poker, I believe, success breeds success. As you have more and more successes; whether it be qualifying for another tourney, cashes, or wins; that will give you the foundation for more success.
datsme53
datsme53
Member Rank: Straight Flush
Member Rank: Straight Flush

Number of posts : 1583
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by illphillllllll Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:35 am

if you like sun tzu you should read machiavellis "the art of war". it applies to business and politics and also perfect for poker. its main principle is that craft and deceit are justified in pursuing and retaining power. i decided to read this after watching the movie "bronx tale" and is my favorite book and has changed the way i think about life in general.
illphillllllll
illphillllllll
Member Rank: Boat
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by PowerPlay777 Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:18 am

OKay I got My WAR Paint On!

Big freeroll weekend! Good luck guys
Very Happy