Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

words for the wise

+3
slyone66
Not Like Me
chefjimmy
7 posters

Go down

words for the wise Empty words for the wise

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:57 am

will try not to fool myself into thinking "I'll make this marginal calldown so that I can see what he does this with and play better against this player in the future." Even if it's 10BB to call and we only lose a couple of BB every time we call because we do win some of the time, I don't think it's a winning proposition because we have no guarantee that this knowledge will ever come in handy. This is just my own wish to "see what he has" but rationalized in a way that seems like we're making a good play to exploit our opponent in the future. As long as I keep that in mind, I can exercise "Impulse Control."

You will find that in poker, more than anyone else, the most important opponent is you. Even if your poker skills are lacking, if you have the desire and the patience to study you will get better and eventually succeed. Conversely, even if you're best player in the world, lacking self-control can make you go busto. This is why when I set my bankroll requirements I stick to them. It's not just because I want to follow good BR management, but also to prove to myself that I can follow my own advice. This is part of improving my "Willpower."

Back to top Go down

words for the wise Empty Re: words for the wise

Post by chefjimmy Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:03 am

great post my friend,hope its taken to heart by many.
chefjimmy
chefjimmy
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Not Like Me Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:13 am

Solid post trucker, I think there is a great number of players who do not exercise B.M. and go broke as a result. Discipline and patience can work wonders for your game. The "A.T.C." approach seems to stem from kids watching Gus on TV playing any cards dealt to him, however they fail to realize the game and hands are edited for maximum viewing pleasure and that even Hansen himself will sit out hands, waiting for good opportunities.
Not Like Me
Not Like Me

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by slyone66 Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:22 am

great post trucker, as you noticed i lacked impulse saturday on pitbull, i thought that guy was just calling with high cards again to steal pot, but to my disappointment he had a pair of pkt 10s that beat my 9s ouch. oh well live and learn... always next time.
slyone66
slyone66

Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbeam77 Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:02 pm

Great post, I think i have the will power for bankroll management Very Happy its just my dam will power NOT to play black jack,once i figure that out i think i got her licked!!!! Very Happy
jimbeam77
jimbeam77
Member Rank: Flush
Member Rank: Flush

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post by datsme53 Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:48 pm

I have to agree with you there trucker. We can be our own worst enemy for sure! Smile
It's the ol' "practice what you preach" syndrome. Many of us know exactly what it is we want to do on the tables... it's sticking to it every hand that has it's problems from time to time lol! If we could all have a little poker guy sitting on our shoulder smacking us every time we start to deviate from what we know we should do in certain situations, it probable would accomplish two things.....

1. We would make the decisions we should make
2. We would have a lot of bruises on us too..LOL! lol!
datsme53
datsme53
Member Rank: Straight Flush
Member Rank: Straight Flush

Number of posts : 1583
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

words for the wise Empty Nice

Post by blackulakingz Wed May 27, 2009 12:58 am

We are our own worst enemy for sure! Very solid post tucker one of the better ones ive read.Truth is being a good poker player is not for the weak!! Will power against ourselves......CLASSIC! afro
blackulakingz
blackulakingz
Member Rank: Two Pair
Member Rank: Two Pair

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Alecizzo23 Thu May 28, 2009 4:08 pm

Solid words my man. I agree 100% why give away your chips to a value bet?? Its STUPID! Don't do it lol
Alecizzo23
Alecizzo23
Member Rank: Trips
Member Rank: Trips

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2009-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down