Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

Badugi questions

+3
chefjimmy
PowerPlay777
KEVINfromHB
7 posters

Go down

Badugi questions Empty Badugi questions

Post by KEVINfromHB Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:13 am

I've noticed a freeroll offered on Reefer poker and it's for a game called Badugi. I understand the basic mechanics of the game, but am not real adept at the draws and betting. Anyone have a few basic pointers???
KEVINfromHB
KEVINfromHB
Member Rank: Flush

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://goodcleanfun.nicetheme.com

Back to top Go down

Badugi questions Empty Here is a site

Post by PowerPlay777 Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:56 am

http://www.ehow.com/how_2087811_play-badugi.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art
PowerPlay777
PowerPlay777

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Badugi questions Empty hows about a comparison....

Post by chefjimmy Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:30 am

i,m a fairly tight player after the 1st few rounds...but i use this comparison for you to judge by and hope it helps
calling round 1 with more than one suited is like holding a small pair in holdem
round 1 all diff suits high card 10 or higher is like holding 2 pr
9 or lower would be comparitive to having tripps
under a 7 is like a full boat
6 n lower you got the stuff...
ok for chasing...i dont chase any hand past round 1 where the bet is more than 3 times the ante and i,m looking at high card 10
if i,m under a 6 i,ll chase 1 card for 20% of my stack
if i flop bagduhi over a 10 i,ll bet until i,m raised then judge
under a ten i,ll bet it like crazy
under and 8 i,m fearless

now i should add that i,ve enterd about 20 tourneys and placed in the money 3 times...i,m new at this too...but this is the comparison i,ll show hope it helps
chefjimmy
chefjimmy
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

Badugi questions Empty Re: Badugi questions

Post by KEVINfromHB Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:28 am

Thanx for the helpful insights. I'll try them out on the next freeroll I try on Reefer.
KEVINfromHB
KEVINfromHB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2008-07-20

http://goodcleanfun.nicetheme.com

Back to top Go down

Badugi questions Empty anythime..i can help

Post by chefjimmy Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:37 pm

its why were here right?to ask answer lend support,play the occasional freeroll,and expand our community...so if i can ever be of service to anyone ask here or pm me i,ll give an honest answer...
chefjimmy
chefjimmy

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by jolietdusty Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:52 am

I have never played this game but understand it is like razz ( low hand wins) except straights and flushes count is this correct

jolietdusty
Member Rank: Pair

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Donk Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:23 am

jolietdusty wrote:I have never played this game but understand it is like razz ( low hand wins) except straights and flushes count is this correct

It is like razz in the respect that the lowest cards win. Like razz, straights and flushes have no impact. However, having what I guess you could call the opposite of a flush, all four cards of different suits, gives you a Badugi. A Badugi will trump any other low cards out there.

For instance, if I've got Kc Qd Jh 9s and you have Ah 2h 3h 4c, then I would win becuase I have a Badugi and you don't.

If no one had a Badugi, then the player with the four lowest cards wins.

If 2 or more players have a Badugi, then the player with the lowest Badugi wins. For example:

Player 1 has - Ad 2c 3s 6h

Player 2 has - Ac 2d 3h 5s

Player 2 wins because she/he's got the lowest Badugi.

Badugi also differs from Razz in that Badugi is a Draw game, where Razz is a Stud game.

In Badugi, everyone is dealt in, followed by a round of betting. That is then followed by 3 rounds of drawing and betting, followed finally by the showdown.
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://donkhard.com/default.aspx

Back to top Go down

Badugi questions Empty Re: Badugi Questions

Post by datsme53 Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Very good explanation TBD. I would only like to add... for someone who isn't at all familiar with it... You could have several hands that may win without getting Badugi also. Many players will use a betting
strategy where they will raise early on with 3 cards toward a Badugi.
For instance... 2h,6s,7c,10c. You only need one card here to make a
Badugi... a diamond.. hopefully a small one other than 2,6 or 7 in this instance. You get 3 draws at replacing the 10c here... watching the board to know who is drawing how many in each pass around the table. I like to make them pay(dearly at times) when I have the advantage on how many cards are being drawn. I don't like to let an opponent draw too cheaply... good way to get good hands beaten.
Many times 3 good low cards toward a Badugi will win. I think a good
poker player can catch on to this game very quickly... especially if he
is a razz player too.

I like chefjimmy's take on this too.... I don't know if I agree totally
about being fearless with an 8, but it's awfully good most of the time. This game is like many other poker games when it comes to freerolls....somebody will always donk out on you even when they start by drawing 3 cards.... and if you don't make 'em pay to draw... they will draw 2 or 3 cards right down to the last one.. lol!

I made it in the top 64 once in a PokerStars Badugi freeroll where the
top 64 finishers(out of 7 or 8 thousand) qualify for the Twice Weekly 2K Tourney. It was a wild ride when it got down toward the last 150 or so. It can be a good break from playing the same few poker games all the time. I like to play a few of the "off name" poker games to break up playing NL Holdem most of the time(my very favorite). Smile
datsme53
datsme53
Member Rank: Straight Flush
Member Rank: Straight Flush

Number of posts : 1583
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bestoboth Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:18 pm

I have had some luck here and there with Badugi and find that I LOVE IT! Its a simple game card wise but its the betting and stuff that gets messy... after all yoiu get 3 draws. Most people are content to fish but this is NOT a good badugi strategy because of the 3 betting rounds and generally tis pot limit so.. that can get high quick.

I have a few rules of thumb that work pretty well when I FOLLOW THEM!! LOL

1. I NEVER draw, even in round 1, with less than a 3 card (lower than a 8 unless the table is loose then i may stretch that to a 9) there is ONE exception to that... if the table is loose and I am holding at least 2 nutz (like and Ac and 2h) then and only then will I draw ONE ROUND if I don't get at least one more really good card to make a 3 card I fold.. period!

2. I generally do not fish, especially if the betting is heavy... even into round 2 if I dont get something in the first draw I will almost always fold... unless its a small bet and the table has been loose. and I will only fish to the end (even aggasint small bets) if I have the nutz or some combo of nearly the nutz (a 3 card) which are A234 (all diff suits).

That sounds pretty simple but the rest is table and opponent reads... now.. this system was working pretty well until I STOPPED USING IT! LOL I had made some 45 bucks in 3-4 days from my original 5 dollar buy in (I played the low stakes tables at PS) of course when I started winning I started messing with the system and it broke down... and so did I! LOL Now I have like 2 bucks and can't even afford to rail my buddies! LOL I also have won 2 round 2 tourney tickets form the planet freerolls (why do they call them that.. they are NOT planets! LOL).

I am no poker whiz for sure but I managed to do ok in badugi... when i followed the rules of course...

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!

Let us know how it goes for ya!

OH OH OH remember too that in the beginning of those big FR tourneys half the folsk playing don't know the rules so as long as you don't do anything stupid you can usually D or TU easy in the first few minutes with solid play.

Oh and of course if you are playing for cash always stick to your BR management rules!! I did not and paid dearly for my folly! LOL

bestoboth

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down