Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

On the button, what do do?

+4
sharkbait
The Big Donk
chefjimmy
NicolasWSOP
8 posters

Go down

On the button, what do do? Empty On the button, what do do?

Post by NicolasWSOP Mon May 18, 2009 3:47 pm

Imagine yourself with the dealer button in front of you. You are dealt a middle pocket pair (44-99).
Do you check, or raise?

Last edited by NicolasWSOP on Mon May 18, 2009 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
NicolasWSOP
NicolasWSOP
Member Rank: Quads

Number of posts : 819
Registration date : 2009-05-09

Back to top Go down

On the button, what do do? Empty Re: On the button, what do do?

Post by chefjimmy Mon May 18, 2009 4:02 pm

not enough info here...who called?how many called?was there a raise?and what is the position of the raise to the callers?Then i could help..without knowing none of the above i call.
chefjimmy
chefjimmy
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by NicolasWSOP Mon May 18, 2009 4:04 pm

hmm.. let's go with four people. Four people called, and they are all extremely loose players. It is a tournament and the blinds are at 100 and 200. You have 7k left in your stack.

Is this enough information?
NicolasWSOP
NicolasWSOP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 18, 2009 4:39 pm

yeah pocket 4s why u still in the hand

Back to top Go down

Post by NicolasWSOP Mon May 18, 2009 4:39 pm

Because you can flop quads Very Happy
NicolasWSOP
NicolasWSOP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 18, 2009 4:44 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by NicolasWSOP Mon May 18, 2009 6:17 pm

I already have lol.

I was the second poster on that thread.
NicolasWSOP
NicolasWSOP

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Donk Tue May 19, 2009 1:20 am

With about 35 Big Blinds left in hand, this is an easy call for me, especially with that much action in the pot. If I spike a set, see ya later suckas! Double me up! If I miss, it's easy enough to get out of the way because with that much action, let's face it, somebody's bound to have or draw to something bigger than a pair. Also, with the pair being relatively low, I'm not likely to flop an overpair and have to face a tough decision.

Now if we're looking at the upper end of the spectrum on those choices, such as 8's or 9's I'd be more likely to raise from the button if there were alot less action to my right. I'm also more likely to raise with hands like this after the antes have kicked in, as these pots are much more valuable and with so many players feeling the blind crunch, your folding equity jumps a few points.

That's my take.
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://donkhard.com/default.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post by chefjimmy Tue May 19, 2009 7:59 am

Noone raised?smooth call pray for a set,but prepare to fold those 4s...noone raised i got 9s...i bet pot
chefjimmy
chefjimmy

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

On the button, what do do? Empty pocket 4''s

Post by sharkbait Thu May 21, 2009 12:19 pm

i agree with the big donk. with 4 limpers in front and only a few people left to act its pretty standard to limp in and try to hit big. big meaning set. if u do hit ur set then play it according to the flop. . ask ur self if theirs a flush draw or a straight draw. if so then u should try an take the pot down right there. if not.. than u may want to put in a regular sized raise and see if u get any action. on the other side of the coin if there were no limpers in front with pocket fours and ur on the button or cutoff than it depends on the players left to act behind u. do they call everybet or are they capable of folding.. if their capable of folding u should raise enough to get them to fold usually between 3 to 5 times the big blind dependin on the size of the blinds at the time .but if the blinds are so low u have to raise 5 times the blind to induce a fold than it usually not worth risking unless ur sure their gonna fold without a group 1 or 2 hand.
if the blinds are substantial 3x bb bet will usually get it done against a tight player. now if ur on the cutoff u are really trying to buy the button so to speak . .u definitely want the button to fold if u raise so keep him in mind to. like i said before these players have to capable of folding.. now the reason for this is simple enough u want to be able to take it down after the flop if u do get called if the flop comes looking pretty safe to ur 4's but u gotta be able to put ur opponent on some range of hands pre flop if not just dump them and save urself some chips. I hope this is helpful i could probably keep going. but if u have any questions i'll try to help.

sharkbait
Member Rank: 7 Duey Newie

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by slyone66 Thu May 21, 2009 1:40 pm

ive folded pkt 4s plenty of times when someone has raised, but if i could limp in i would stay in to see the flop and then decide from there, as for pkt 9s i think they are a strong hand, and would wager on them to see the flop. have gone all in with them and won and have also lost... so depends whos calling and what kind of game they have been playing loose or tight. i would make my decision from there.
slyone66
slyone66

Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Alecizzo23 Thu May 28, 2009 4:19 pm

Well with a small pocket pair on the button, IF no one has entered the pot i'd raise 2.5-3X the BB. If there are limpers... raise. If there is a raise in front of me it would depend on the pot odds if i want to call... or if hes trying to steal... RAISE Smile
Alecizzo23
Alecizzo23
Member Rank: Trips
Member Rank: Trips

Number of posts : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by Kidpoker Fri May 29, 2009 11:29 am

I never raise with a small pair because I don't want to buy a pot with that. And I wouldn't want to build a pot either because I don't know if I will flop a set. If a set didn't hit and there is an over card to my PP I'm Arrow out.

Kidpoker

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by illphillllllll Fri May 29, 2009 12:02 pm

have to call here with 44. if the players are loose like you said it can be a big pot if you hit. for the same reason you can't raise here because the loose callers will want to see the flop. pretty standard play in my opinion.
illphillllllll
illphillllllll

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down