Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

Who is your favorite poker pro?

+35
Surf Rat
NicolasWSOP
thehogster65
illphillllllll
Not Like Me
slyone66
datsme53
DragonSlayer07
KEVINfromHB
jgmotorfan
bestoboth
jolietdusty
MannerzMan
Keygreazy
ReadChomsky
k9ofspades
Cesc18
eberetta1
ct.ect666
10Zav01
Jeester
riversucks1
grilldoggy
ryodejaneiro
wizardsfan05
truckinloot
PowerPlay777
dijwaila
Solid_Snake1982
pokerlenn
JLGilmore
Debel
Igor30
CanuckMachine
The Big Donk
39 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who is your favorite poker pro? Empty Who is your favorite poker pro?

Post by The Big Donk Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:16 pm

I'm going to have to go with Daniel Negreanu.
I've never seen a player who can tell his opponents what they're holding quite so consistently. To me, being able to read your opponents' hands is an invaluable skill in poker. Imagine if those X-Ray glasses you ordered when you were a kid actually worked. Just have a seat at the table, slip on the old X-Ray shades, and fold every losing hand and take down every pot every time they miss the flop.
Daniel Negreanu seems to have found some X-Ray contact lenses that really work. Either that or he's great.
He can also switch gears with great success. He can play like a rock and profit, or switch to playing any 2 cards and still add towers to his chipstack.

Honorable mention would have to go to the mathematical wizard Phil Gordon, who's style of play led to a revolution in how I play poker.

Other notables on my list of greats include Doyle Brunson (all these years and he's still got it), Phil Helmuth (he's got a load of bracelets, and that deserves some recognition), and Vanessa Rousso (she may or may not play well, I'm really not sure, but she sure is nice to look at!)

The Big Donk
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://donkhard.com/default.aspx

Back to top Go down

Who is your favorite poker pro? Empty Re: Who is your favorite poker pro?

Post by CanuckMachine Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:37 am

I would have to go with Daniel Negreanu as well, I feel he has that great canny ability to read his oponents so well its unbelieveable.. Donk pretty much summed it all up in his post but i think hes one of the greatest!
CanuckMachine
CanuckMachine
Member Rank: 7 Duey Newie

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Igor30 Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:36 pm

I'll go for Gus Hansen,I just love to watch this guy at the tables!
and of course my hometown man,Nenad Medic!

Igor30
Member Rank: Trips

Number of posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Donk Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Medic won himself a bracelet this year, in the first game I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Igor30 Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:29 pm

The Big Donk wrote:Medic won himself a bracelet this year, in the first game I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right,he won WSOP#1 and $794,112 prize.

Igor30

Back to top Go down

Post by Debel Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:44 pm

Daniel Negreanu, no doubt. He is amazing to watch in action. But as a WSOP dealer there are several of them that I like because they are simply some of the nicest people....Such as Greg Raymor, Humberto, Steve Deminen, etc.
Debel
Debel

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-06-28

http://www.myspace.com/cardsanddrinks

Back to top Go down

Post by JLGilmore Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:38 pm

Daniel Negreanu is by far my favorite poker play. I like his playing style. It is amazing how he just "knows" what his opponent has.. he is just one great poker play. I have belief that his name will last as long if not longer than Brunson!!!!

JLGilmore

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by JLGilmore Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Debel wrote:Daniel Negreanu, no doubt. He is amazing to watch in action. But as a WSOP dealer there are several of them that I like because they are simply some of the nicest people....Such as Greg Raymor, Humberto, Steve Deminen, etc.

You're A WSOP dealer?? What is that like?? I don't want to take up room in the forum so if you would like to tell me some of your experiences please feel free to message me!!! tongue

JLGilmore

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Donk Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:16 pm

JLGilmore wrote:
Debel wrote:Daniel Negreanu, no doubt. He is amazing to watch in action. But as a WSOP dealer there are several of them that I like because they are simply some of the nicest people....Such as Greg Raymor, Humberto, Steve Deminen, etc.

You're A WSOP dealer?? What is that like?? I don't want to take up room in the forum so if you would like to tell me some of your experiences please feel free to message me!!! tongue

I was wondering the same thing myself. As well as 'How do you land a gig like that?' and 'How's the pay?'

And take up all the room you'd like. We've got plenty!

The Big Donk
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pokerlenn Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:52 am

moneymaker...1 time for da donks!!

pokerlenn

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid_Snake1982 Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:38 pm

Well thats a tough question since i have three major favorites.

#1 is of course the man to beat in texas hold em none other then Phill Hellmuth he has 11 bracelets in the game. If that isnt proof I dont know what is. He plays just so good its nuts.

#2 Barry Greenstein I like his mix of aggresive plays and bluffs he just can pound his opponents into submission talk about a great player. Not to mention he donates all his tournament winnings to charity.

#3 Dan Harrington I dont know if you've noticed this but almost everytime Harrington plays a big time tourney he finishes at least ITM. Not to mention he won the battle of the champions on WPT last year defeating a long list of pros. I dont know what to say but hes great.

Solid_Snake1982

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by dijwaila Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:34 am

i don't have a favorite ... but thought i'd throw a couple names out for people who are interested to check into. there are a couple dozen big names which get promoted a lot a therefore associated as being the best, while other at least equal players are ignored.

for example, negraneau ... who is an excellent player. i watched him fold an ace when the board was a-k-k-k-a (think that was the sequence) ... and yes, his opponent had the king. that one looked really impressive, though he's made even tougher plays. however, when it comes to calling hands ... he picks a hand from the range he puts an opponent on and throws it out there ... once in a while he gets it right, and the t.v. programs love to replay those hands ... so people watching get a different sense of him than is really true.

most of you have probably heard of tom dwan by now ... he's becoming more well known, but among many elite players and 'industry' types, is considered the best player in the world today. he began as an online players and is now playing and winning at the highest stakes live/online cash games.

personally, i would be interested to see how stu unger would have done were he still alive. for example ... phil ivey's game is largely based on the style of play that unger made successful.

these two people are/were semi-well known ... there are many more excellent, yet relatively unknown players. i know this is a favorite, not best players thread ... i'm just encouraging people to check out the lesser known players, much can be learned and appreciated about them too.

dijwaila
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 553

Back to top Go down

Post by dijwaila Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:08 am

oh ... and thats just for nlhe.

check out ray zee ... he doesn't go for the spotlight ... but for those of us who play oh8 and stud ... he's a great person to learn from.

Last edited by dijwaila on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

dijwaila

Back to top Go down

Post by PowerPlay777 Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:45 pm

Alive= Layne Flack
Dead= Stu Unger
Gotta love Dolly,too, he has definitely paid his dues
PowerPlay777
PowerPlay777
Member Rank: Flush

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Who is your favorite poker pro? Empty got mine

Post by truckinloot Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:28 pm

Gus Hansen all the way. he loves the tight spots and has the juice to explode with a 7 2 offsuit. he can be as serious as aheartattact one second and roll off the table funny the next. he also has the gift of reading his apponents hands before they are laid down.
truckinloot
truckinloot
Member Rank: Pair
Member Rank: Pair

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Igor30 Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:10 pm

truckinloot wrote:Gus Hansen all the way. he loves the tight spots and has the juice to explode with a 7 2 offsuit. he can be as serious as aheartattact one second and roll off the table funny the next. he also has the gift of reading his apponents hands before they are laid down.

Buy you a BEER!!I thought that nobody like him! .Gus is unusual player,he like to play against books and unwritten rules of poker and thats why I like him.
and today I finally got opportunity to drink coffee with Nenad Medic,must say he's great guy!He came home for a few days to spend some earned money and to relax before next season start!I hope I'm going to learn something from him!

Igor30

Back to top Go down

Post by wizardsfan05 Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:22 pm

Phil Ivey. I think I have never, ever, seen him give any tells to his opponents. Even if he wins a monster pot with a royal flush, his face will still look like a mugshot. He is amazing at keeping his emotions under control.

wizardsfan05

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Who is your favorite poker pro? Empty body control ...

Post by dijwaila Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:52 pm

partick antonius is also very adept at body control. i don't think his name has been mentioned yet, but definitely among the elite.
he is the best player i can currently think of at getting opponents to call when they have the weaker hand.

dijwaila

Back to top Go down

Who is your favorite poker pro? Empty a pro of negraneau ...

Post by dijwaila Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:52 pm

while watching part of a 'poker after dark' episode yesterday, in which daniel negraneau was a participant ... i should also mention that he is a player who makes being at the same table an enjoyable experience.
there are many players with great poker ability who will likely never get invited to any parties ... well, except maybe a roast!
but anyway, back to the original point of this post ... negraneau is not only a great player, but is also a great conversationalist and his conduct encourages people to come out and play live poker ... a benefit for the game as a whole.

dijwaila

Back to top Go down

Post by ryodejaneiro Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:09 pm

Hey all, newbie here

My personal favorite goes to Chris Ferguson. He's not the most exciting player but I like the way he approaches the game and his heads-up record is great too.

Negreanu is a close second because of his plays but he also seems to be a fun guy to be around in general.
ryodejaneiro
ryodejaneiro

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down

Who is your favorite poker pro? Empty Allen Cunningham

Post by grilldoggy Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:32 pm

Allen Cunningham and Daniel Negreanu are two players with superior ability to read, among other skills. Watch the facial expressions of these guys as they absorb what's going on around the table.
grilldoggy
grilldoggy

Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Who is your favorite poker pro? Empty Hansen vs Matusow

Post by grilldoggy Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:37 pm

[quote="Igor30"]
truckinloot wrote:Gus Hansen all the way. he loves the tight spots and has the juice to explode with a 7 2 offsuit. he can be as serious as aheartattact one second and roll off the table funny the next. he also has the gift of reading his apponents hands before they are laid down.

I love to watch Hansen and Mike Matusow at the same table. Matusow loves to call Hansen a donkey, I wonder if he really gets under Gus' skin? Hansen's odd playing style is such a target for criticism, but he has had success.
grilldoggy
grilldoggy

Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by riversucks1 Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:18 pm

the way negraneau reads people i would have to go with him as my all around poker fav..but if its just holdem the guy with 11 braslets will be #1

riversucks1

Registration date : 2008-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeester Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:04 pm

Josh Tyler, basically because he has got to such a high level so early on in life, i wish i could do that! soon though, soon.
(and yes, i know lots of people have got high at a young age, and some younger, but josh just seems like he can beat the best already)

Jeester
Member Rank: Two Pair
Member Rank: Two Pair

Number of posts : 59

Back to top Go down

Post by 10Zav01 Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:18 pm

i played on FTP once with Allen Cunningham on the table
he and i both turned the nuts in various hands
and i think both of us knew each other weren't fishes
so we stayed out of each other ways

my favorite poker player is Barry Greenstein because he is so generous

10Zav01

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next