Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

through slow playing....

3 posters

Go down

through slow playing.... Empty through slow playing....

Post by chefjimmy Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:15 pm

three times in recent days i,ve tried to slow play a set just to have it haunt me...from now on i,m going all out n taking my blinds...it just kills me to get booted out of a tournament over runner runner...the latest was in the 1k freeroll at players only i flop a set of 2s in the big blind,min bet,min bet..on the turn..i,m going yes fish on..and sure enough the river gives him a higher set....anyone else slow playing and getting strung up?
chefjimmy
chefjimmy
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

through slow playing.... Empty Re: through slow playing....

Post by ryodejaneiro Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:29 am

If you can post the entire hand history, that'll give us a better idea. In my opinion, I don't min-bet anymore unless I think that a min bet will take down the pot when the blinds are high and the players I'm up against are playing tightly. I tend to jam the pot (anywere from 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot or more) if I see a board straightening or flushing to make it expensive for anyone drawing to see the turn and river. An aggressive bet also allows you to feel out where your opponents are. I definitely won't slow play a set against multiple players either. About the only time I might slow play in a multi-way pot is when I've flopped the nuts or I have a hand that I think is likely unbeatable.

But it sounds like your opponent may have had a pocket pair in which case, depending on what his hand was, he may not have folded his hand to an aggressive bet (esp. if the board didnt show any overcards to his pocket pair).
ryodejaneiro
ryodejaneiro
Member Rank: Flush

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down

through slow playing.... Empty the hand

Post by chefjimmy Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:49 am

ok i was in the big blind holding 8-2h...no callers just the small blind and me.the flop was 2,2,7 offsuit,i min bet and was called,the turn was j no flushes coming...i thought about going larger,but this was a tight player too and i wanetd to squeeze all i could,i min bet and was called...the river was j,..with a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach i min bet again and where as i,m immediately raised two thirds my stack..i probably should have let it go but i didnt i called and paid the price...but normally in this situation..i,m wanting them to pick up that 1st jack,i,m betting like i have the seven,i plat two things in the game...the odds and the player.....i got caught these times,but normally i,m able to pick up cash that wouldnt be there if i raised and i,m praying they put me on small pockets and come over the top...i,ve just recently paid the price...your saying everytime you hit the set you bet like you hit the set?
chefjimmy
chefjimmy

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ryodejaneiro Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:00 pm

chefjimmy wrote:your saying everytime you hit the set you bet like you hit the set?

I probably won't go as far as saying I'd bet out every time since I try to vary my betting patterns. But I find that when I bet out on a board like 2-2-7 (to take your example), I can still get action because its easier for people to think that you missed the flop and you're betting to take down the pot. I would say that it's more the common expectation for a person to slow play a set than betting out to extract the most chips possible. But I would still bet out if I had pocket 2s and the flop comes out 2-7-Q for instance (quads are a different story though).
ryodejaneiro
ryodejaneiro

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by slyone66 Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:10 pm

ive gotton burned with pkt As 3 times in 2 days from slowplaying its all out war from now on. i'll take whatever chips i can from now on
slyone66
slyone66

Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down