Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

plo best starting hand?

+3
illphillllllll
chefjimmy
from_fresno
7 posters

Go down

plo best starting hand? Empty plo best starting hand?

Post by from_fresno Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:53 am

what is the best starting hand in PLO?

and why? lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

from_fresno
Member Rank: 7 Duey Newie

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Back to top Go down

plo best starting hand? Empty as a personal choice

Post by chefjimmy Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:39 am

i like aakq 2 suited..not that i,m the expert here but thats the hand that sets me to finding the raise button,
chefjimmy
chefjimmy
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

plo best starting hand? Empty Re: plo best starting hand?

Post by from_fresno Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:52 am

ya that seems like a good starting one
i am used to playin hi/low

from_fresno

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by illphillllllll Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:28 am

i am more of a omaha h/l player myself fres, my favorite hand in that is A234 double suited. in omaha i know i'm wrong but i like AKQJ double suited. the pocket aces never hold up for me in omaha so jimmy is probably right. only good advice i can give you is make sure all four cards can work together in some fashion. for example 9865 would be a better hand for me to play than AK97. would actually like to hear what others think, being omaha ain't my best game. i thought i read t.j. cloutier saying not to play hands where all four cards don't work together in a poker magazine.
illphillllllll
illphillllllll

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by tukie Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Well that seems to make more sense than what I usually play. I always thought if you had two sets of suited cards e.g. AQ spades, 10 7 hearts that you have pretty good odds. Or any pocket pair. I think the worst hand to even call with is any trips. (maybe I would call with A's but I would never raise them).

tukie
Member Rank: Two Pair
Member Rank: Two Pair

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by The Big Donk Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:02 pm

For PLO I'd have to go with AAKQ double suited, AAJT double suited, or AKQJ double suited.

I think it's pretty hard to argue the fact that any double suited hand is superior to a hand that's not double suited, as a suited hold 'em hand is superior to it's non-suited counterpart. As for the strength of starting ranks, that's certainly debatable. Of course AAxx is a favorite in Omaha, but nowhere near as far ahead as it is in hold 'em. With so many cards out there, you're highly unlikely to win with only a pair with multi-way action, which you'll often get in PLO (still more in PLO8). That leads to the strength of draws in Omaha. Having KQ with AA ain't bad, because it leaves you drawing pretty live as well as having the high cards, but subbing KQ with TJ leaves you drawing to the nut straight, no matter how you hit it.

Just a few thoughts.
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://donkhard.com/default.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post by datsme53 Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:58 pm

The Big Donk wrote:For PLO I'd have to go with AAKQ double suited, AAJT double suited, or AKQJ double suited.

I think it's pretty hard to argue the fact that any double suited hand is superior to a hand that's not double suited, as a suited hold 'em hand is superior to it's non-suited counterpart. As for the strength of starting ranks, that's certainly debatable. Of course AAxx is a favorite in Omaha, but nowhere near as far ahead as it is in hold 'em. With so many cards out there, you're highly unlikely to win with only a pair with multi-way action, which you'll often get in PLO (still more in PLO8). That leads to the strength of draws in Omaha. Having KQ with AA ain't bad, because it leaves you drawing pretty live as well as having the high cards, but subbing KQ with TJ leaves you drawing to the nut straight, no matter how you hit it.

Just a few thoughts.

I agree hear with these hands from TBD and others too. I'm not any thing near an expert on PLO, but one thing I believe is that these hands we are talking about take on a totally different meaning when out of position. Position, position position... might be the best hand of all in PLO. Are we full table PLO... short handed...?...these different situations seem to me to make a big difference. That AAxx hand may not look so good when your out of position especially if your chip challenged to some degree. Just something to add from a Omaha challenged donk.. lol! Smile
datsme53
datsme53
Member Rank: Straight Flush
Member Rank: Straight Flush

Number of posts : 1583
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

plo best starting hand? Empty best hand ?

Post by mangvil Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:06 pm

well I'm not saying those arnt the best hand I find if ya get 6789 or 789t or even 89tt your drawing chances go way up specaily if they dub suited and if you dont pick anything up on the draw it makes for aneasy let go wich will help with missleading players but
to answer your question the best starting hand is the winning one but you already knew that I'm sure I've seen every hand loose and win so...

mangvil

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down