Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

heads up help

3 posters

Go down

heads up help Empty heads up help

Post by darkstar Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:16 pm

well say i do good all through the touney then i get to the final table and also do good there and then its just down to me and the other guy about the same in chips most times but very little i get the win i dont know if i should change how i play for heads up or not i dont know if im doing anything rong or not. what should i do to get better when i get to the end when its me and one other ? like how would u play it or even just give me a lesson really i just need help in that every thing else is good like iv got first before but most of the time i only get 2nd and dont know y please help if u can ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

darkstar
Member Rank: Two Pair

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Back to top Go down

heads up help Empty Re: heads up help

Post by illphillllllll Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:23 pm

heads up you want the bigger pots to be when you are on the button. this means you should be raising preflop with position and limping when the other player is on the button. strategy can change depending on what your opponent is doing. if he is aggressive you should be trying to set traps. if he is tight you should be the aggressor. remember that 66% of the time neither player hits the flop, first one to bet usually takes it down. waiting for premium hands in my opinion will cost you majority of the time unless your playing a calling station.
illphillllllll
illphillllllll
Member Rank: Boat
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by datsme53 Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Philly is right. Use his advice in heads up. It is a totally different game. You need to adjust how you play to how your opponent plays. Many times you need to adjust for each hand for sure. It takes a lot more aggression to play heads up. I think it can pay off big setting traps in heads up... and setting traps in situations where you otherwise would not try a trap. Having said that... believe it or not... a certain amount of patience will pay off in heads up at times too. Learn to adjust your aggression to the situation. Best way to learn is experience. If your having trouble with heads up part of your game... there are books out there that can help. It doesn't hurt, if your having trouble, to go to some play money heads up and bang it out there with a lot of different players... and try proven methods there to see if that improves for you there. Get the confidence going and then apply it to your heads up portion of your game.

If your getting there a lot.... it means you likely have a solid game. Don't let some heads up failures destroy your confidence. The fact that you posted here about this means you are serious about improving that part of your game. My guess is that in time you will get much better at heads up and start taking more of those tourneys down! Keep your confidence up and good luck at the tables! Smile
datsme53
datsme53
Member Rank: Straight Flush
Member Rank: Straight Flush

Number of posts : 1583
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by darkstar Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:30 am

thanks very much guys this helps a lot im going to try and work the things yous said into my game and after a wile i will get back to you guys and tell u how i make out with that said and what you guys have said i think my game is going to get a lot better thanks a lot really. truly this is what i needed a boost if u would call it.

darkstar

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down