Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

bad beats..a different take

4 posters

Go down

bad beats..a different take Empty bad beats..a different take

Post by chefjimmy Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:38 am

bad beats happen..i,ve had my share and then some...but when they come with a certain frequency...its time for me to take a break...i recently did just that...last night was my 1st night back..the dread was gone,i was at ease...and after the night was finished i was 30.00 richer...now i realize the winning has nothing to do with this...but the ease i felt does...so what i,m saying is when the bad beats hit,the suckouts are killing ya...sometimes you just need a break...it gets you out of feeling like things are spiraling out of control...and puts you back in control...its how i see it...anyone else take breaks here n there?
chefjimmy
chefjimmy
Member Rank: Boat
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

bad beats..a different take Empty bad beats..a different take

Post by datsme53 Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:23 pm

Yeah, I think we probably all do at times... some longer than others, and some breaks from poker come for other reasons(family matters, work or whatever) and the time off from the game from time to time can definitely be beneficial for sure. I like to think that bad beats can help your game if you look back on them and try to analyze them to see if there was something in your play that may have led to some of them. Your going to get the bad beats, and in bunches sometimes too. A break may not always be the answer. It may be better to reflect to see if you stuck to your plan of play when they happened or did you deviate from it and thereby get some hands called or raised that might otherwise have been played differently.
datsme53
datsme53
Member Rank: Straight Flush
Member Rank: Straight Flush

Number of posts : 1583
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

bad beats..a different take Empty Re: bad beats..a different take

Post by The Big Donk Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:29 pm

I find it to be absolutely vital to take breaks when running bad. Sometimes a few minutes can do the trick, sometimes it may take a few days. Often when I'm running cold in a certain game (such as Hold'em) I'll switch to a different game type (such as Omaha). This little trick has instantly taken me off of tilt more than once and has even turned a bad beat and a big lost pot into a profitable day.

On the other hand, when I'm running hot, I like to get in as much action as possible until the chill sets in.
The Big Donk
The Big Donk
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://donkhard.com/default.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post by whyucallin Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:07 pm

I've actually heard it said that the more true bad beats you take, the better you're playing. when I refer to a true or genuine bad beat what I mean is when you get your opponent to make an absolutely horrible play for all their chips & the villian sucks out. like you flop top set, your opponent flops bottom set & he hits quads on the river. or say you have KQs on the button, you make a standard pre flop raise & the flop comes KKQ , your opponent goes all in & you call......the cards come up & he's got pocket deuces ! the turn is a deuce and the river is the friggin case deuce! or you have pocket 9s on the small blind & the flop come 7s 7h 9c you bet 1/2 pot & your opponent goes all in & you call, he has Jc 7c the turn is the 10c river is 8c yep your flopped full house just got busted by a runner runner straight flush !!! now, if this sort of thing is likely to put you on tilt, maybe it's time for a break, however since you didn't neccessarily play those hands poorly, if you're not at the point where you're screaming obscenities at your monitor at the top of your lungs & you're fairly certain you can out play these donks..........

whyucallin
Member Rank: Pair
Member Rank: Pair

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down