Donkhard.com Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Online Poker Rooms

Pot Limit OMaha Hi-lo help for beginners.

+2
dijwaila
rickygop
6 posters

Go down

Pot Limit OMaha Hi-lo help for beginners. Empty Pot Limit OMaha Hi-lo help for beginners.

Post by rickygop Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:33 am

Omaha8orbetter is my best game, or so i think. I thought that as my first posting I would write a little about my "best game" and hope it helps beginning players. I'm going to write about what you're looking for as far as starting hands are concerned. I really hope this helps some of you.

In pot limit Omaha 8 what you're really looking for is a scoop. You're looking for a starting hand that looks something like A235 or A234, AA23, AA24 or sommething like that. Your starting hand must consist of at least 3 low cards and you want your highest card to be a 6 although the lower the better. A24K isn't a bad hand if double suited but what you really want is 4 lo's. Once in a pot what you're looking for is to scoop the pot. The reason why you want to scoop the pot is because if you're going for the low and some1 else has the same exact low as you do then the winner of the high will take three fourths of the pot while the other person only takes 25% of the pot after putting in more than that. This is just a basic advice I wanted to give beginners because I felt it was really important. As far as reading you're oponents and knowing when certain hands are good or bad I believe thats the kind of thing each person has to figure out by playing. Playing is the best way to learn and don't you ever forget that.

rickygop
Member Rank: 7 Duey Newie

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Pot Limit OMaha Hi-lo help for beginners. Empty Re: Pot Limit OMaha Hi-lo help for beginners.

Post by dijwaila Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:12 am

check out ray zee ... he doesn't go for the spotlight ... but for those of us who play oh8 and stud ... he's a great person to learn from.

dijwaila
Member Rank: Boat
Member Rank: Boat

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Pot Limit OMaha Hi-lo help for beginners. Empty Re: Pot Limit OMaha Hi-lo help for beginners.

Post by konawajim Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:34 pm

Thanks I'll try it and post how it goes
konawajim
konawajim
Member Rank: Straight
Member Rank: Straight

Number of posts : 184

Back to top Go down

Post by Debel Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:20 pm

Great tip! I just wanted to throw in a tips about reading your hand. EVERYONE who is learning to play Omaha for the first time seems to have trouble reading their hand correctly at times. So here are a few remnders or tips to keep in mind when reading Omaha hands.

1. You must use two cards from your hand and 3 from the board. Keep that in mind. I see a lot of newbies mistakingly think they have a straight, flush or fullhouse if one of their cards make it that.

2. In order to have a fullhouse, there must be a pair showing on the board.

3. All possible straights have either a 10 or a 5 in them.

4. Three cards of the same suit have to be showing on the board in order for there to be a flush.

5. Low hands are read starting with the largest number and working on down. If you are using an A7 from your hand and there is a 642 on the board, your hand is 7642A. Someone using a 53 from their hand beats yours even though you have the ace. Their hand would be read as 65432. 65432 is a smaller number than 76421(A).

6. If the board has 3 qualifying low cards, you must have 2 different qualifying low cards. If the board has 4 you only need one different and one can counterfeit (copy) one on the board. In this case if everyone in the hand counterfiets one of the cards, it doesn't matter which one, whomever has the lowest 'live' wins the low. If the board is 5 different qualifying low cards, you may counterfeit 2 of them. Your low hand will then be the same as what is on the board. And when 2 or more people all counterfiet one of the cards on the board.

7. Avoid playing hands that include a set. For example, if you are delt 555J. And avoid hands that are two pairs such as 4499, especially if they are unsuited.
Debel
Debel
Member Rank: Trips

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-06-28

http://www.myspace.com/cardsanddrinks

Back to top Go down

Post by fin2head Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:51 am

Omaha hi/lo is one of the tougher games to get to final table. I find a tight play is best because of the higher hands usually win (flushs, fullhouse, and straight on a occasion) Two pair most times are beat. The other problem is you usually stay with hand longer to see if you make a winner, if not typically you lose more chips per hand played. So play TAG in this game.
fin2head
fin2head

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Debel Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:01 am

Here is a good one. If you have the nut straight on the flop, FOLD. It will almost always lose to a higher straight, flush or FH by the time the river hits.
Debel
Debel

Back to top Go down

Post by KEVINfromHB Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:09 pm

Debel, that was some really sound advice. I got my head handed to me on a sit-n-go yesterday. I accidentally signed up for Omaha instead of Hold em. Out of 9 i came in 5th (OTM) but really couldn't match the skill of the other players. I think it made me take notice that even if I miss the game I want, it's better not to slam through the keys and make a mistake, and end up playing in the wrong game. But I did get a paid lesson!
KEVINfromHB
KEVINfromHB
Member Rank: Flush
Member Rank: Flush

Number of posts : 223

http://goodcleanfun.nicetheme.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Debel Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:19 am

I have done that a few too many times. Most recently I thought I had bought into an Omaha hi/lo. The first two hands I get the nut low and go all in and it was just by chance that I won the high so I didn't realize it wasn't a hi low game. The third had, another all in with the nut low, opened my eyes when I lost all my chips.
Debel
Debel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down